Viking Winch GS-9
As advertised, looks great, first test pull with no issues.
Posted by Unknown on 19th Feb 2014
I found the usually fruitful internet forums 'lacking' on information about this winch. While I was researching a new winch for my 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, I could only find people who knew a guy who knew a guy. As far as I can tell at this point, no one has even posted a video of one in action. So here is a quickie.
It bolted right up to my OR Fab mid-width bumper, no problem. The fit and finish were very nice. As a quick test it pulled this full sized soccer goal across the pavement (stock battery) without even dimming the lights.
We'll see how it holds up to some abuse when things warm up this spring, but seems well built thus far. No corners were cut that I can find in my initial overview and installation.
FREE SHIPPING IN THE LOWER 48 STATES! If you want this item shipped outside of the lower 48, please contact us for a shipping quote before you order. Thank you.
The GS-9 Viking Winch is the perfect self recovery tool for your 4x4. Whether you use your 4x4 for work or play this winch is ready to get you unstuck. The GS-9 winch is not a cheap winch that may not work when you need it or hold up from heavy use. The GS-9 winch is made to withstand every day use, and if it has not been used for a few years it will turn on since it has fully sealed Albright Solenoid. Heavy duty contactors in the remote also ensure positive electrical connections making the winch come to life when needed. The Viking Winch GS-9 is a superb winch employing proven technology from years of research, development and most importantly use in the field. It has a proven track record from the hottest desert in the world Death Valley to the coldest place on earth Antarctica. This winch has proven itself by the modern day Vikings in the California Deserts, Iceland and Antarctica all the way to the South Pole and everywhere in-between.
The Viking Winch is available in its default form without a winchline or fairlead. Please choose one of the winchline options if desired.
- Light Weight, powerful with low amperage draw
- Unique TieBridge™ reduces weight, increases rigidity and improves winchline room / reducing obstruction
- TieBridge™ is precision CNC machined from billet aircraft aluminum with a hard anodized black finish
- Fast high efficiency performance with low amperage draw
- Heavy duty motor delivers superior torque for maximum power
- Control box designed to be remotely located, may also be mounted to motor
- Submersible sealed contactor with silver-alloy contact pads, thick copper buss bars and submersible construction ensures weather resistance.
- Patented Cone Brake Structure – “Brake outside the drum” – allowing for rapid heat dispersion.
- Tough Aluminum alloy housings, with large roller bearings for durability
- Ultra heavy duty winch drum specifically designed for the stress of synthetic rope
- Industrial grade waterproof remote control comes with a thermometric LED indicator on the hand-held switch that automatically alerts when the motor is over-heated.
- Rugged and quiet 3-stage steel planetary gears for maximum mechanical efficiency.
- An ergonomic T-handle positively engages the free spool clutch through multiple evenly spaced locking holes for rapid rope payout. The entire clutch can be rotated to reposition the T-handle in multiple locations.
- Winch Made in Taiwan, Winchline and TieBridge™ made in USA
- Minimum Rated Line Pull: 9,000 lbs (4,082 kg) single line
- Line Speed - No Load: 44 FPM (feet per minute)
- Line Speed - at an 8,000 lb load: 7 FPM
- Amperage Draw - No Load: 55 amps
- Amperage Draw - 4,000 Lbs: 110 amps
- Amperage Draw - 8,000 Lbs: 200 amps
- Amperage Draw - 8,000 Lbs: 200 amps
- Motor: 4.6 hp / 3,430 w 12V Series Wound
- Gear Ratio: 3-Stage Planetary 156:1
- Clutch (freespooling): Rotating Ring Gear
- Brake (outside of the drum): Automatic, full load CBS (Cone Brake Structure)
- Winch Construction: Aluminum Die Cast Housing with Heavy Duty Steel Drum
- Drum Size: 2.5” x 9” (63.5 x 229 mm)
- Winch Controller: Waterproof remote with thermometric indicator LED with 17' (5 m) cord
- Rope Size and Type: 3/8" x 80' Synthetic Viking Winchline
- Fairlead: Viking 245 Series in black with Stainless Steel Hardware
- Mounting Bolt Pattern: 10” x 4.5” (254 x 114 mm)
- Winch Dimensions without Control Box: 23-3/4" wide x 6-1/4" deep x 7-1/2" high (to top of clutch handle 8-1/2")
- Winch Dimensions with Control Box: 23-3/4" x 6-1/4" x 10-1/2" (to top of remote plug 11-1/2")
- Winch Weight: 56 lbs (25.4 kg) without control box, winchline or fairlead
- Winch Weight: 70lbs with Control Box, Fairlead and Viking Winchline with an Excel hook.
- Shipped Weight: 83-85 lbs (37.6-38.5 kg) Depending on configuration
- Box Dimensions 25.6” x 7.7” x 16.3” (650 x 192 x 415 mm)
- Limited Lifetime Warrantee for Mechanical Components
- Limited One (1) Year Warrantee for Electrical Components
YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE
The Viking Winch has a unique TieBridge you can install on your winch. It fits all Superwinch EP9 winches...Viking Winch TieBridge $145.00
The Viking Offroad Overland Recovery Kit is the complete kit for serious overland & expedition journeys. Th...
The Viking Winch Kit is an excellent base kit if you have a winch. It has the Kinetic Tow Rope as, a Static Rig...Viking Winch Recovery Kit $513.81
The Viking Emergency Tow / Recovery Kit is the first piece of recovery equipment any vehicle should have. It has a ki...Viking Emergency Tow Kit $229.78